Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Malcomson (Portlaw)

Francis Malcomson was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Kilchreest, barony of Loughrea, in 1855. The Malcomson estate in county Galway amounted to 395 acres in 1876 though Hussey de Burgh records William Malcomson as owning only five acres in county Galway. Their main estate was in county Waterford where Frederick Malcomson owned over 1400 acres at Portlaw as well as property in county Down. The founder of the Malcomson business empire was David Malcomson. He was born in Lurgan, county Armagh and came to Clonmel where he established a corn milling business at the end of the 18th century. He later moved to Portlaw, county Waterford. He married Mary Ffennel of Cahir Abbey and their sons, Joseph, Joshua, John and William became involved in the family business. In the mid 19th century Messers Malcomson, Pike and Fennell held land in the parish of Crohane, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Robert Malcomson of Kilcommon, Caher, owned 2,644 acres in county Tipperary. O'Donnell writes that Robert was a son of David Malcomson.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mayfield (Portlaw) Coolroe Clonagam Carrick-on-Suir Portlaw 4 Upperthird Waterford OSI Ref: S462153
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 75
Woodview House (Portlaw) Coolroe Clonagam Carrick-on-Suir Portlaw 4 Upperthird Waterford OSI Ref: S463153
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 75
Milfort House (Portlaw) Coolroe Clonagam Carrick-on-Suir Portlaw 4 Upperthird Waterford OSI Ref: S460159
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 75
Pouldrew House Gortaclede Kilmeadan Waterford Kilmeadan 70 Middlethird Waterford OSI Ref: S507117
OS Sheet:
Discovery map: 75
Pouldrew Mill Stonehouse Kilmeadan Waterford Kilmeadan 70 Middlethird Waterford OSI Ref: S506118
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 75
Minella Raheen St Mary's Clonmel Clonmel Clonmel, East Urban 74 Glenahiry Tipperary OSI Ref: S215 224
OS Sheet: 1
Discovery map: 75
Woodloch House (Portlaw) Mayfield or Rockett'scastle Clonagam Carrick-on-Suir Portlaw Upperthird Waterford OSI Ref: S478166
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 75

Archival sources

  • Copy ledger of Malcomson's mill, Portlaw, Co. Waterford, 1795-1798 and 1830-1835. BR. WAT. 8; National Archives of Ireland
  • Malcomson, family of: Notes on members of Malcomson family, originally of Armagh, in 18th and 19th centuries; with notes on family enterprises, including Lax Weir and Fishery, Limerick; Neptune Ironworks, Waterford; Portlaw Cotton Factory. N.6199, P.6935 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Documents relating to the property and interests of the Malcomson family in Co. Tipperary, 1829-1842. 975/14 ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Archer/Austen/Fennell include documents re Robert Malcomson of Kilcommon, Co Tipperary and William Malcomson of Milfort House, Portlaw. 99/62; National Archives of Ireland
  • Brief account of the Malcomson family, Lurgan, Co. Armagh, and Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, with details of their association with Limerick City, and a pedigree of the family, c. 1700 -- c. 1925. T. 536 ; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Papers re the Johnston, Malcomson and Greer families of Cos. Antrim, Down and Tipperary, c.1800 - 1972. T.2983 ; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Documents re the Malcomson family & their property, 1825-1938. 999/284/2; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources