Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Malcomson (Portlaw)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Medlycott The Burrishoole estate of approximately 70,000 acres was acquired by Thomas Medlycott, Chief Commissioner of Revenue in Ireland, from Charles Butler, Earl of Arran, and grandson of the 1st Duke of Ormonde, at the turn of the 17th century. Later on in the 18th century the Medlycotts found themselves in financial difficulties and sold the estate to John Browne, 1st Earl of Altamont, on 15 July 1774, who sold it back to the Medlycotts on a lease in perpetuity. This lease was sold by the Medlycotts to Sir Neal O'Donel in 1785. Earlier the Medlycotts had leased the property to "Mr Pratt, Clerk of the Treasury" [John Pratt of Cabra Castle, Co Cavan, Deputy Treasurer, died 1740] but when he got into financial difficulty the estate had reverted to the Medlycotts. The Medlycotts had another estate at Rocket's Castle, county Waterford, where they resided during the 19th century. Reverend John T. Medlicott was among the principal lessors in the parish of Clonagam, barony of Upperthird, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he owned over 950 acres in county Waterford.
Malcomson (Portlaw) Francis Malcomson was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Kilchreest, barony of Loughrea, in 1855. The Malcomson estate in county Galway amounted to 395 acres in 1876 though Hussey de Burgh records William Malcomson as owning only five acres in county Galway. Their main estate was in county Waterford where Frederick Malcomson owned over 1400 acres at Portlaw as well as property in county Down. The founder of the Malcomson business empire was David Malcomson. He was born in Lurgan, county Armagh and came to Clonmel where he established a corn milling business at the end of the 18th century. He later moved to Portlaw, county Waterford. He married Mary Ffennel of Cahir Abbey and their sons, Joseph, Joshua, John and William became involved in the family business. In the mid 19th century Messers Malcomson, Pike and Fennell held land in the parish of Crohane, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Robert Malcomson of Kilcommon, Caher, owned 2,644 acres in county Tipperary. O'Donnell writes that Robert was a son of David Malcomson.
Myers In the 1870s James Myers of Clonmel, county Tipperary, owned 989 acres in the county and 17 acres in county Waterford. The Myers residence was on Suir Island located in the Suir River on the border of Tipperary and Waterford. Séan O'Donnell writes that James Myers was born in 1820, that he bought the Malcomson factory on Little Island and that his landed estate was situated at Grallagh Castle, Thurles.