Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Browne (Brownhall)

An estate established in the mid 17th century by royal grants to Edward Browne. This family of Brownes were at first known as Brownes of 'Tullamore' or Tullymore and later of 'Brownhall'. Their estate was mainly in the parishes of Balla and Mayo, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo and in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, county Roscommon. By 1857-1858 they were selling off parts of their estate in the Encumbered Estates’ Court and in 1865 their Brownehall home and demesne were put up for sale. However Hans S.H.Browne still owned 2320 acres in county Mayo in 1876. The Congested Districts' Board purchased 1906 acres of this estate on 7 May 1903.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Brownhall Brownhall Demesne Mayo Castlebar Ballinafad 57 Clanmorris Mayo OSI Ref: M238 829
OS Sheet: 90
Discovery map: 31

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Browne, 3 June 1858, Vol 51, MRGS 39/025, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Browne, 6 Oct 1857, Vol 47, MRGS 39/023, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Browne, 14 Jan 1858, Vol 50, MRGS 39/024, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Browne, 29 June 1865, Vol 77, MRGS 39/038, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Browne, 7 July 1876, Vol 125, MRGS 39/057, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Papers re estate in Co Mayo. D.20,904 & M.3696; National Archives of Ireland
  • Papers in a Land Judges' case, re estate in Co Mayo and Galway city of Hans S.H. Browne, 1880-1889. M 5242-5243; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources