This family settled in the North Mayo/Sligo area in the late 17th century and during the 18th century were based at 'Rathroan', Rathroeen, parish of Ballysakerry, barony of Tirawley. The Ordnance Survey Name Books and Griffith's Valuation show them holding two townlands in the parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra. In the 1870s Reverend John Leech of Mitchelstown, county Cork owned 194 acres in that county and 484 acres in county Mayo.
- Pedigree of Leech of Passerk, Rathroan, Co Mayo, of Runroe and Lodge and Hermitage, Co Sligo, and of Ballycloughduff, co Westmeath, c 1640-1865. GO MS 179, 164-168; National Library of Ireland
- Copy of confirmation of arms to Rev John Leech of Cloonconra, Co Mayo, son of Wm Ansdell Leech of Rathroan, and grandson of John Leech of Rathroan, Co Mayo, 24 Oct 1860. GO MS 108, 334-335; National Library of Ireland
- Includes statement of claim, Leech & Millet, town of Swinford, 1879. D8257-8322 ; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 310
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 265
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 407 (Bunro [Rinroe])