An estate comprised of the three townlands of Derrylea, Pheasant Hill and Derrycoosh, in the parish of Aglish, barony of Carra, county Mayo was held by the Sheridan family on a renewable lease for ever, dated 27 Apr 1816, from the Earls of Lucan. However the Sheridans were located at Pheasant Hill in the 1770s as recorded on the Taylor and Skinner map. In 1877 the Pheasant Hill estate amounting to 577 acres was sold by the widow of John Martin Sheridan to James Faulkiner, collector of tolls and customs in Castlebar. Property in the town of Castlebar, owned by Martin Sheridan, a bankrupt, was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in December 1852. The purchaser was Reverend Archdeacon McHale.
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Sheridan, 30 June 1876, Vol 124, MRGS 39/056, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 318
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Castlebar Union, 27
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 312
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 411
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 223
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 404 (Dan)
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': Nĺ CHINNÉIDE, Síle. A Frenchman’s Tour of Connacht in 1791. XXXV (1976), 52-66
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Encumbered Estates Court sale reports, 17 December 1852, p.3.