Catherine Penelope Jones was a lessor of land in several townlands in Drumreilly parish as well as elsewhere in county Leitrim, in 1856. She owned over 9000 acres in county Leitrim including the town of Ballinamore and resided at Hayle-place, Maidstone, Kent in 1876. Property in and near the town of Ballinamore, leased by the Jones Estate, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by Mary Anne Heran and others, in April 1870. Two sisters of Catherine Penelope Jones of Headford married members of the Marsham family, Earls of Romney, and she was succeeded by her nephew George Marsham. In the 1850s Drumard House in the parish of Mohill was being leased by Rev. Thomas Jones to William Jones. Rev. Thomas Jones is also listed as the owner of over 700 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. Thomas H. Jones and Theophilus B. Jones, both of Drumard, served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim in 1822 and 1835 while members of the Jones of Headford family served as High Sheriffs over ten times in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. McParlan records that Theophilus Jones was a non-resident proprietor in Leitrim in 1802.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Kilbracken||Kilbracken||Carrigallen||Mohill||Carrigallen East 57||Carrigallen||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: H259045
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 34
|Drumard House||Drumard Jones||Mohill||Mohill||Drumard 70||Mohill||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: N084935
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 33
OSI Ref: N013985
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 33
- Jones of Drumard Family Papers; Leitrim County Library
- Documents re sale of estate lands, 1902. File 446.; Leitrim County Library
- Pedigree of Jones of Headford, File B164 Heritage. ; Leitrim County Library
- Poster re sale of Kilbracken House for Thomas S. Jones, 1905. Pamphlet Box Misc 1. ; Leitrim County Library
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Heran, 30 April 1870, Vol 96, MRGS 39/046, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 304
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 239
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Mohill Union, 141.
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 162 (Drumard)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 211
- McPARLAN, James. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Leitrim''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1802. : 110.
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 103 (Headfort)
- BATEMAN, John. ''The great landowners of Great Britain and Ireland''. London: Harrison, 1883. : p.246
Modern printed sources
- Ó RUNAÍ, Lorcan. ''From Rosclogher to Rooskey: the Leitrim story'' [n.p]: Cumann Seanchas Ros Inbhir, 1996: 204-205.
- HARRISON, A (compiler).'' A roll of all gentlemen....High Sheriffs, MPs & other officers of county Leitrim, 1600-1909.'' Carrick-on-Shannon: printed by P. Brennan, 1910. : 9-10.
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': GRAY, Edward S. Some notes on the High Sheriffs of county Leitrim, 1701-1800. I (1941), 302-303, 306, 308.
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1904: 387-389