Landed Estates
NUI Galway

May (County Waterford)

According to Morris the Mays were originally a Sussex family who came to Ireland in the early seventeenth century. Sir Algernon May and his wife Dorothy were granted over 7,000 acres in counties Waterford and Cork in 1666. Edward May was MP for Waterford between 1717 and 1729. He acquired the property at Rockettscastle and renamed it Mayfield. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to "the extensive mills built by Edward May" at Portlaw as well as a large house built by him. Sadlier refers to Sir James May, baronet, who served as MP for Waterford, 1759-1798, and was High Sheriff of Waterford in 1752. He was the son of James May of Mayfield and Hon. Letitia Ponsonby.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mayfield or Rockett's Castle Mayfield or Rocketscastle Clonagam Carrick-n-Suir Portlaw 4 Upperthird Waterford OSI Ref: S477165
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 75