Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Sheppard

This family descend from a Cromwellian officer, Captain Thomas Sheppard, who was granted over 1,400 acres in the barony of Slievardagh and Compsey, county Tipperary in 1666. His eldest son James settled at Kilcunnahin Beg, parish of Ballingarry, in the early 18th century. Griffith's Valuation records the Sheppards holding land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond. The estate of George Bell, assignee of Simon Headon Sheppard at Clashnasmut and Curraheen, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary and Kilree, county Kilkenny was advertised for sale in April 1854. Major Sheppard of Cheltenham, England, owned 973 acres in the 1870s while John Sheppard of England owned 374 acres, Captain Henry Sheppard of Clifton owned 281 acres and Frank Sheppard of St Cronans, Roscrea, owned 275 acres.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Clifton Kilcunnahin Beg Ballingarry Borrisokane Ballingarry 12 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: S010 945
OS Sheet: 11
Discovery map: 53
Castle Sheppard Creeragh Uskane Borrisokane Ballingarry 12 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R978 952
OS Sheet: 8
Discovery map: 53

Archival sources

  • Copy of confirmation, later superseded, of arms to the descendants of Capt. James Sheppard of Clifton, Co. Tipperary, descended from William Sheppard, whose brother, Capt. Thomas Sheppard's will bears date June 23, 1676, and to the grandson of the said Capt. James, being the Rev. James William ffranck Sheppard, Rector of Wouldham, Co. Kent, only surviving son of Frank Sheppard, Jan. 15, 1912. Genealogical Office: Ms.111a, p.79 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to the Rev. Henry Drought Sheppard, son of Henry Sheppard and grandson of Richard Sheppard of Templemore, Co. Tipperary, May 9, 1873. Genealogical Office: Ms.109, pp.263-4 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy release forever by Robert Heath, Dublin City to Thomas Sheppard, Castle John, Co. Tipperary of Curragheene, etc. bar. Slivardagh and Compsey, Co. Tipperary. Rent: £30 stg. p.a. to be paid "at Strongbows Tomb, in Christ Church, Dublin", 12 March 1702. 999/449 ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Bell & Sheppard, 21 Apr 1854, Vol 27 (23), MRGS 39/012, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources