Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cuthbert (Cloghprior)

Members of the Cuthbert family were involved in the legal profession in the 19th century. Eccles Cuthbert was the eldest son of the Reverend Robert Cuthbert of Drogheda. He and his brother Robert both trained at the King's Inns circa 1800. In the mid 19th century Edwin Cuthbert held at least five townlands in the parish of Cloghprior, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary and the representatives of Eccles Cuthbert held land in the parishes of Dromineer, barony of Lower Ormond and Youghalarra, barony of Owney and Arra. The lands of Knockrenehan and Garrankivane, 179 acres in the barony of Owney and Arran with premises in Dublin, the estate of Elizabeth Cuthbert, widow, were advertised for sale in June 1850 and again in November, as were her lands at Annabeg, barony of Lower Ormond, in May 1854. Frances Anne, only child and heiress of Edwin Cuthbert of Clough Prior, married John Flower. John Flower of England owned 844 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Annaghbeg Annaghbeg Dromineer Nenagh Monsea 87 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R827 848
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 59
Cloghprior House Cloghprior Cloghprior Borrisokane Cloghprior 8 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R859 890
OS Sheet: 9
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Cuthbert, 11 June 1850, Vol 1 (50) & 19 Nov 1850, Vol 4 (8), MRGS 39/001 & 39/002, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Cuthbert, 12 May 1854, Vol 28 (8), MRGS 39/012, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources