Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Butler (Ash Park & Wilford)

William Butler of Park died in 1800 and was succeeded by his son James, born 1785, who later became a Captain. In 1813 James married Gertrude, daughter of Sir John Craven Carden. Their son William married Mary Jackson in 1857. In the mid 19th century the Butler estate was in the parishes of Loughmoe East and Templemore, barony of Eliogarty and Killea, barony of Ikerrin. The representatives of William Butler of Park, Templemore, owned 580 acres in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Wilford Shangarry Mowney Callan Ballingarry Slievardagh Tipperary OSI Ref: S303 454
OS Sheet: 55
Discovery map: 667
Ash Park Park Killea Roscrea Killea 18 Ikerrin Tipperary OSI Ref: S092 750
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of Butler of Killoskehan, Drum, and Wilford, of Lisduff, of Monequillin, and of Park, all in Co. Tipperary, c.1630 -- 1870. Genealogical Office: Ms.176, pp.310-8 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Butler, Barons Dunboyne, and of Grellagh and of Clare in Co. Tipperary and of Killoskehan, and of Wilford, and of Park, 1541 -- 1817. Genealogical Office: Ms.170, pp.300-8 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources