Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blackmore

At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Blackmore held two townlands in the parish of Rathcool, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, one from the representatives of L. Clutterbuck and the other from T.P. Lloyd. In June 1857 over 500 acres at Bishopshall and Melville, county Kilkenny and 129 acres at Wilford, Shangarry, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, were advertised for sale, the estate of Robert E. Blackmore, assignee of Simon Blackmore, a deceased insolvent, and John Blackmore. The original lease of Shangarry (Wilford) dated 6 May 1798 was from Sir William Barker to Richard and Simon Blackmore. The Freeman's Journal reported that the Kilkenny estate was sold to Messers. Cantwell and Hewitson while the Tipperary portion was sold by private contract. In the 1870s members of the Blackmore family residing at Mortlestown and Rathcool, Fethard, owned over 880 acres in county Tipperary altogether. In July 1886 the estate of Henry Blackmore in the barony of Middlethird was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The sale was adjourned due to insufficient bidding.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Wilford Shangarry Mowney Callan Ballingarry Slievardagh Tipperary OSI Ref: S303 454
OS Sheet: 55
Discovery map: 667
Rathcool Rathcool Rathcool Cashel Ardsallagh 40 Middlethird Tipperary OSI Ref: S191 371
OS Sheet: 70
Discovery map: 66
Kilshane/Arraghslea Kilshane Kilshane Tipperary Kilfeakle 163 Clanwilliam Tipperary OSI Ref: R928 342
OS Sheet: 67
Discovery map: 66