Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carmichael

James Carmichael held a townland in the parish of Roskeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation. James Carmichael also held property in the Mallow town area. In the 1870s John Carmichael MD of Patrick's Street, Cork owned 2,164 acres in the county and Thomas Carmichael of Mallow owned 93 acres.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Woodpark Woodpark Ballyclogh Mallow Ballyclogh 234 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W479 979
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 80
Eden Hill Gortnagross Mallow Mallow Ballyclogh 234 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W520 983
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 80
Sunny Hill Annabella Mallow Mallow Mallow Rural 250 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W546 984
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Carmichael, 19 Dec 1856, Vol 43 (26), MRGS 39/021, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Copy of royal licence to John Carmichael McOstrich of the City of Cork, merchant, to take surname Carmichael only and to bear the arms of Carmichael quartering McOstrich, May 5, 1868. GO Ms.152, pp.615-8 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to John Carmichael McOstrich of City of Cork, on his assuming under Royal Licence the name and arms of Carmichael, May 15, 1868. GO Ms. 109, pp. 173-4 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Mallow; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources