Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Phipps

Descended from a Cromwellian soldier this family were established in the Fermoy locality of county Cork by the early 18th century. By the time of Griffith's Valuation John Phipps and his brother Michael W. Phipps held land in the parishes of Castletownroche and Kilcummer and Litter, barony of Fermoy and a Phipps also held a number of townlands in the parish of Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow. In the 1870s Charles and Michael Phipps owned 349 and 410 acres respectively in county Cork.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cregg South [Avonmore] Cregg South Litter Fermoy Killathy 132 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W764 985
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 80
Templenoe Templenoe Litter Fermoy Killathy 132 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W762 989
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 80
Kilcor Castle Kilcor North Castlelyons Fermoy Kilcor 136 Barrymore Cork OSI Ref: W865 909
OS Sheet: 45
Discovery map: 81

Archival sources

  • Pyne Papers, 23 deeds mainly concerning lands in Co. Cork in which members of the Pyne family were parties, other parties include members of this family, 1783-1895. D 7194-7219; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Castlelyons; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources