Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Caulfeild (Copsewood)

Major General James Caulfeild (1786-1852) was a younger son of John Caulfeild, Archdeacon of Kilmore, grandnephew of the 2nd Viscount Charlemont. He followed a military career, retiring in 1841 at the rank of Major General. He worked for the East India Company. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the General held a large estate in the barony of Kenry, parishes of Kilcornan, Adare, Chapelrussell and Kildimo, previously part of the estate of the Earl of Charleville. Father McCormack writes that he bought his estate of 2,000 acres from the Burys for £51,592 in 1845. In the 1870s his widow, Annie Caulfeild of Copswood, Pallaskenry, owned 3,350 acres in county Limerick. The General's son died at sea and his daughters married into the Royse, Hunt and Purdon families. see http://www.salesiancollege.ie/about.htm

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cartown Cartown Ardcanny Rathkeale Pallaskenry 128 Kenry Limerick OSI Ref: R435 563
OS Sheet: 4
Discovery map: 65
Copsewood Pallas Chapelrussell Rathkeale Pallaskenry 128 Kenry Limerick OSI Ref: R420 555
OS Sheet: 3
Discovery map: 65
Summerville Summerville Kilcornan Rathkeale Pallaskenry 128 Kenry Limerick OSI Ref: R405 558
OS Sheet: 3
Discovery map: 65