Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bury (Shannongrove)

Family title

Earl of Charleville


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bury (Shannongrove) Phineas Bury was granted almost 6,000 acres in the barony of Kenry, county Limerick in 1666 and 588 acres in the barony of Mogunnihy, county Kerry in 1669. His second son, John Bury, settled at Shannon Grove, county Limerick. In 1703 John Bury purchased parts of the confiscated estates of Sir Drury Wray and King James II in the barony of Kenry. county Limerick. ''Irish Family Records'' records John's fourth son, Thomas, "of Curraghbridge". The descendants of John's eldest son, William, continued to reside at Shannon Grove until at least the mid 18th century. Charles William Bury of Charleville Forest, county Offaly, was created Earl of Charleville in 1806. His father, John Bury of Shannon Grove (1725-1764,) succeeded to the estates of his maternal uncle, Charles Moore, Earl of Charleville, in February 1764, and thereafter his branch of the family was resident in King's County [county Offaly]. The Ordnance Survey Name Books show Lord Charleville as a main proprietor in the parishes of Ardcanny, Chapelrussell, Kilcornan and Kildimo, barony of Kenry. His agent was his cousin, Reverend Robert Bury of Killora Bridge, Cork. Members of the Westropp, Fitzgerald, De Vere and Waller families were some of the main tenants on the Earl's Limerick estate. By the time of Griffith's Valuation. however. most of the Earl's property in the parishes of Chapelrussell, Kilcornan and Kildimo was in the possession of General Caulfeild. Ó Corrbuí gives details of two sales of Bury lands in 1844 including a large acreage to General James Caulfeild. The earldom became extinct in 1875 following the death of the 5th Earl of Charleville.
Caulfeild (Copsewood) Major General James Caulfeild (1786-1852) was a younger son of John Caulfeild, Archdeacon of Kilmore, grandnephew of the 2nd Viscount Charlemont. He followed a military career, retiring in 1841 at the rank of Major General. He worked for the East India Company. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the General held a large estate in the barony of Kenry, parishes of Kilcornan, Adare, Chapelrussell and Kildimo, previously part of the estate of the Earl of Charleville. Father McCormack writes that he bought his estate of 2,000 acres from the Burys for £51,592 in 1845. In the 1870s his widow, Annie Caulfeild of Copswood, Pallaskenry, owned 3,350 acres in county Limerick. The General's son died at sea and his daughters married into the Royse, Hunt and Purdon families. see http://www.salesiancollege.ie/about.htm
Palliser A family originally from Yorkshire, the Reverend William Palliser became Archbishop of Cashel in 1694. His daughter Jane married John Bury of Shannon Grove, county Limerick. Their two eldest sons were William, from whom descend the Earls of Charleville, and John, who succeeded his uncle, William Palliser, and assumed that name. He was the ancestor of the Pallisers of Comragh, county Waterford and Derryluskan, county Tipperary. In 1784, his grandson, John Palliser married Grace Barton of Grove and their son, Lieutenant Colonel Wray Palliser, held land mainly in the parish of Crohane, barony of Slievardagh but also in the parishes of Graystown, barony of Slievardagh and Barrettsgrange, Drangan, Knockgraffon, Outeragh and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird. In 1814, Colonel Wray Palliser married Anne, daughter and heir of John Gledstanes of Annesgiflt, county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, his brother, Rev. John B. Palliser, Rector of Clonmel, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dunhill and Islandikane, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford while Colonel Palliser held townlands in the parishes of Fews and Kilrossanty, barony of Decies-without-Drum, in the same county. In the 1870s John Palliser (an explorer of Western Canada) of Comragh House owned 3,561 acres in county Tipperary, 9,825 acres in county Waterford and 467 acres in county Kildare (Castlewarden) while Captain William Palliser of Derryluskan, owned 1,026 acres in county Tipperary and 460 acres in county Kilkenny and Wray Bury Palliser of Annestown owned 2,024 acres in county Waterford . The Comeragh and Kilmacthomas properties were later inherited by Caroline Grace Fairholme, niece of Wray Palliser. The ITA survey noted in 1942 that the estate amounted to over 2000 acres that time, mostly mountain. The Fairholme family employed Charles Langlet of Kilmathomas as their agent.