The estate at Crotta, Parish of Kilflynn, barony of Clanmaurice, was granted to the Ponsonbys in the seventeenth century. Smith states that Henry Ponsonby settled at Crotto and Stackstown around 1666 having been granted the land under the Acts of Settlement in counties Kerry and Limerick. John Carrique was also granted an estate at this time. The estate of Thomas Carrique Ponsonby in the barony of Magunihy, county Kerry, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1850. A further 290 acres, leased by the Ponsonbys from the Bishop of Limerick, was offered for sale in the Court in 1857.
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Ponsonby, 7 June 1850, Vol 1, MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Rowan Collection: Assignment by Richard Carrique Ponsonby of Tralee of judgement for £200 obtained by him against Rev. Conway Blennerhassett, 1831. D.26,701. ; National Library of Ireland
- Rowan Papers: Draft of deed by Louisa Ponsonby re settlement on trustees of her share in lands at Crotta [?], 1825. D.26,706. ; National Library of Ireland
- Rowan Papers: Assignment by Michael Mulchinock of Tralee of a judgement of £500 obtained by him against William Ponsonby of Crotta, to Robert Day of Dublin, May 1827. D.26,707. ; National Library of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Ponsonby, 17 February 1857, Vol 44, MRGS 39/021, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol.II, 94 (Kilflynn Parish)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 142
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county of Kerry. Containing a natural, civil, ecclesiastical, historical and topographical description thereof.'' Dublin: 1774. : 60, 63.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 55
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 180 (Crotto)
Modern printed sources
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 98 (Crotto)
- GOURLEY, Mrs. C.E. ''They walked beside the river Shannow'' ([n.p., 1965). . : The great house of Crotta. pp.16-22.