Martin Joyce was transplanted to the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo by the Cromwellian Commissioners. The Joyces resided at Oxford in the parish of Killedan, in the late 18th century. John Joyce of Bullane (Oxford) married Mary Taaffe of Greyfield in 1764. In the Ordnance Survey Name Books a Mr Joyce is recorded as the proprietor of three townlands in the parish of Breaghwy, barony of Carra, which were leased to J.Burke, sub sheriff. Six townlands in Breaghwy parish were held by Walter Joyce at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
- Abstracts of wills of Joyce of Carrowloughly, Dromore, of Joyce’s Grove, of Lisdonagh, of Merview, of Loughrea, Co Galway and of Oxford, Co Mayo and of Galway city and Corcullenbrough, Co Armagh, 1748-1790. GO MS 141, 288-93; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 315
- M'PARLAN, James. ''Statistical survey of the county of Mayo''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1802: 105
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 220
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Mayo: Vol II, 182, 184 & 187 (Breaghwy)
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 401 (Oxford)