Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McAdam

The McAdams were a Scottish family. Philip McAdam bought the Blackwater estate in the parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare from James Craven in 1684. The McAdams first lived in Churchland House and later in Blackwater House. In the mid 19th century they also held some land in the parish of O’Briensbridge, barony of Tulla Lower. Members of the McAdam family were living in Sussex by the late 19th century and following military careers, although they still owned Blackwater House in 1910. In the 1870s Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Stannard McAdam of Borde Hill House, Sussex and of Blackwater House owned 1,747 acres in county Clare. The McAdams still owned their mansion house at Blackwater in 1906.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Blackwater House Rosmadda West St Patricks Limerick Ballyglass 113 Bunratty Lower Clare OSI Ref: R596 625
OS Sheet: 53
Discovery map: 58
Annesgrove Reanebrone St Patricks Limerick Ballyglass 113 Bunratty Lower Clare OSI Ref: R604 624
OS Sheet: 53
Discovery map: 58

Archival sources

  • Copy of grant of arms to descendants of Col Thomas John Stannard MacAdam of Blackwater House, descendant of Philip MacAdam who purchased the Blackwater Estate 1684 & to his son Capt Philip Bower MacAdam, 16 Aug 1913. GO MS 111a: 109; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to descendants of Thomas MacAdam of Churchland & afterwards of Spring Hill, & to his grandson Major Thomas Stannard MacAdam, 7 Dec 1856. GO MS 108: 153-154; National Library of Ireland
  • Genealogical notes on McAdam of Blackwater by Charles French Blake Foster, c 1865. MS 13,560; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources