Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Stannard


Estate(s)

Name Description
McAdam The McAdams were a Scottish family. Philip McAdam bought the Blackwater estate in the parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare from James Craven in 1684. The McAdams first lived in Churchland House and later in Blackwater House. In the mid 19th century they also held some land in the parish of O’Briensbridge, barony of Tulla Lower. Members of the McAdam family were living in Sussex by the late 19th century and following military careers, although they still owned Blackwater House in 1910. In the 1870s Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Stannard McAdam of Borde Hill House, Sussex and of Blackwater House owned 1,747 acres in county Clare. The McAdams still owned their mansion house at Blackwater in 1906.
Campion Hajba writes that the first Thomas Campion of Leitrim, county Cork, was a Cromwellian settler who became a Quaker. Successive generations of Thomas Campions lived at Leitrim, Captain Thomas Campion having been granted the plowland of Leitrim with other lands in 1667. Thomas Campion and others held at least four townlands in the parish of Leitrim, barony of Condons and Clangibbon and Mrs Mary Campion held land in the parishes of Killathy and Kilcummer, barony of Fermoy, county Cork, in the early 1850s, much of it leased from Edward Stannard. Richard Gifford Campion held land in the parishes of Ardnageehy and Kilshanahan, barony of Barrymore. His estate in the barony of Barrymore, county Cork and in the barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary was advertised for sale in December 1856 (total 664 acres). The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased in trust by Messers. Hunt and White for over £2000. Almost 300 acres of Charles Campion's Tipperary estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1856. The purchaser was Thomas Towers. In December 1873 the estate of Robert Rowland Campion amounting to 179 acres at Loughquinn, barony of Fermoy, was advertised for sale. Three years later Loughquinn was again advertised for sale by the trustees for the sale of the estate of William Aloysius Mahony and Mary (nee Burke), his wife. The Irish Times reported that it was bought in trust for Richard Grove Annesley. In May 1874 over 200 acres at Dromdeer, the estate of Charles Tuckey Campion, were advertised for sale. The estate of Henry Campion at Leitrim was advertised for sale in November 1874 and was bought by Major Victor Reeves. In the 1870s Jeremiah Campion of Mallow owned 281 acres and Henry Campion of Cork owned 282 acres in the county.
Stannard In the early 18th century the Stannards were located in counties Limerick and Cork. They were related to the Eaton/Easton, Travers and Aldworth families. Wills in the National Archives connect this family with Ballyhooly and Stannards Grove, barony of Fermoy [and Stannards Grove, Blackrock,] county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Stannard held land in the parish of Killathy, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In March 1853 his estate in the barony of Fermoy amounting to 1,233 acres was advertised for sale. Mrs Mary Campion was the tenant of 831 acres. A note on the sale rental records the purchase of Lot 2 Lisnagourneen by John Smith in 1853. In the 1870s the representatives of Edward Stannard owned 150 acres and Edward Stannards of Wexford owned 163 acres in county Cork. Grove White notes under Ballydoyle, parish of Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy, that this townland originally belonged to the Stannard family and passed to the Eustace family by the marriage in 1800 of Reverend Charles Eustace of Robertstown, county Kildare and Cassandra, daughter and co heir of John Stannard of Ballydoyle, county Cork. Another branch of this family lived in county Kilkenny. Robert R. Stannard of The Grange, Ballyragget, Kilkenny, owned 1,024 acres in county Tipperary and 1,395 acres in county Kilkenny in the 1870s. This family had family connections with the McAdams of county Clare through the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of John Lannigan Stannard, with Philip MacAdam of Blackwater in 1825.
Eustace At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Stannard Eustace held land in the parishes of Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy, and Gortroe, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. In 1800 Reverend Charles Eustace of Robertstown, county Kildare married Cassandra, daughter and co-heir of John Stannard of Ballydoyle, county Cork and the Eustaces came to possess their county Cork estate by this marriage. In the 1870s Charles Stannard Eustace of London owned 995 acres in county Cork, 1,406 acres in county Kildare, 1,036 acres in county Westmeath and 501 acres in King's County (Offaly). General Henry Eustace was a brother of Reverend Charles Eustace. The General married Henrietta, daughter of Peter Count Dalton. The representatives of Henry Eustace held 440 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Grenanstown in 1906.