Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McAdam


Estate(s)

Name Description
McAdam The McAdams were a Scottish family. Philip McAdam bought the Blackwater estate in the parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare from James Craven in 1684. The McAdams first lived in Churchland House and later in Blackwater House. In the mid 19th century they also held some land in the parish of O’Briensbridge, barony of Tulla Lower. Members of the McAdam family were living in Sussex by the late 19th century and following military careers, although they still owned Blackwater House in 1910. In the 1870s Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Stannard McAdam of Borde Hill House, Sussex and of Blackwater House owned 1,747 acres in county Clare. The McAdams still owned their mansion house at Blackwater in 1906.
Stannard In the early 18th century the Stannards were located in counties Limerick and Cork. They were related to the Eaton/Easton, Travers and Aldworth families. Wills in the National Archives connect this family with Ballyhooly and Stannards Grove, barony of Fermoy [and Stannards Grove, Blackrock,] county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Stannard held land in the parish of Killathy, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In March 1853 his estate in the barony of Fermoy amounting to 1,233 acres was advertised for sale. Mrs Mary Campion was the tenant of 831 acres. A note on the sale rental records the purchase of Lot 2 Lisnagourneen by John Smith in 1853. In the 1870s the representatives of Edward Stannard owned 150 acres and Edward Stannards of Wexford owned 163 acres in county Cork. Grove White notes under Ballydoyle, parish of Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy, that this townland originally belonged to the Stannard family and passed to the Eustace family by the marriage in 1800 of Reverend Charles Eustace of Robertstown, county Kildare and Cassandra, daughter and co heir of John Stannard of Ballydoyle, county Cork. Another branch of this family lived in county Kilkenny. Robert R. Stannard of The Grange, Ballyragget, Kilkenny, owned 1,024 acres in county Tipperary and 1,395 acres in county Kilkenny in the 1870s. This family had family connections with the McAdams of county Clare through the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of John Lannigan Stannard, with Philip MacAdam of Blackwater in 1825.