Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dillon (Roscommon)

In the late 18th century Patrick Dillon owned land in the parishes of Clooncraff, Killukin and Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon, some of which he leased to George Taaffe and James Begg. These lands amounting to over 1,000 acres, the estate of James Dillon, were advertised for sale in June 1853 and February 1854. In June 1855 a further 500 acres of James Dillon's estate, at Brackloon, parish of Kilcorkey, barony of Castlereagh, was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates court. It was the subject of chancery proceedings at the time.

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Dillon, 24 June 1853, Vol 21, MRGS 39/010, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Dillon, 17 Feb 1854, Vol 26, MRGS 39/011, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Dillon, 8 June 1855, Vol 35, MRGS 39/016, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Modern printed sources