Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Strickland

Members of the Strickland family acted as agents for the Dillon estate at Loughglynn, county Roscommon. According to the Irish Tourist Association File the town of Charlestown is called after Charles Strickland, agent to Lord Dillon, who had the town built in opposition to Bellahy, on the Knox estate. In 1872, Charles Strickland resided at Loughglinn House. Charles and Thomas Strickland offered lands for sale in the barony of Frenchpark, the property of Francis Ellison, deceased.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castlemore Castlemore Castlemore Castlereagh Ballaghaderreen 57 Costello Mayo OSI Ref: M598 948
OS Sheet: 74
Discovery map: 32
Loughglynn Loughglinn Demesne Tibohine Castlerea Loughglinn 59 Frenchpark Roscommon OSI Ref: M637868
OS Sheet: 20
Discovery map: 32

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Ellison & Strickland, 19 April 1872, Vol 105, MRGS 39/049, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Manuscript account of the efforts of Mrs Strickland of Roscommon to induce the local population to grown flax, circa 1820. LE21; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway
  • Irish Tourist Association. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. Parish of Kilbeagh. ITA/2/12; Mayo County Library

Modern printed sources