Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ellison


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ellison Burke records that this family came to the west of Ireland in the mid 17th century from Newcastle on Tyne. They settled at Castlebar and Castletown in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in the 18th century. Family members entered the Church and became agents to the Earls of Lucan and resided at Rockland, Soho (possibly Ballynew) and Tallyhoe in the Castlebar area. The Reverend Thomas Ellison was in Killala at the time of the 1798 Rebellion but the family appear to have moved away from the Castlebar area in the 19th century. They acquired some land in county Roscommon, 286 acres of which was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in the early 20th century. By marriage they were connected to the Binghams, Arbuthnots, Macartneys and Baron Mountjoys.
Bingham The Binghams were military commanders sent to Connacht in the 16th century, where they settled in the Castlebar area. Sir Henry Bingham was granted large tracts of land in county Mayo at the end of the 17th century and he added to these by purchases, including some of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport. He also bought lands in the baronies of Carra and Gallen from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. Although the owners of one of the largest estate in county Mayo the Earls of Lucan were absentee landlords, pursuing political and military careers elsewhere, while their Mayo estates were administered by agents. By the 19th century their estate was concentrated in the parishes of Aglish, Turlough and Ballyhean in the barony of Carra; Ballinrobe in the barony of Kilmaine; Killedan in the barony of Gallen; Kilmaclasser in the barony of Burrishoole; Oughaval and Kilgeever in the barony of Murrisk. In 1876 the Earl owned 60,570 acres in county Mayo. From July 1898 parts of the Lucan estate in county Mayo began to be sold to the Congested Districts' Board. In 1905 over 40,000 acres were purchased by the Board for a cost of over £100,000 and in July 1911 another 10,000+ acres were bought. The Lucan Estates Company was set up in 1925. The Earls of Lucan also owned an estate of over 1,000 acres at Laleham in Middlesex. See also http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/big-houses-of-ireland/the-lucans-of-laleham/
Strickland Members of the Strickland family acted as agents for the Dillon estate at Loughglynn, county Roscommon. According to the Irish Tourist Association File the town of Charlestown is called after Charles Strickland, agent to Lord Dillon, who had the town built in opposition to Bellahy, on the Knox estate. In 1872, Charles Strickland resided at Loughglinn House. Charles and Thomas Strickland offered lands for sale in the barony of Frenchpark, the property of Francis Ellison, deceased.