Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Incorporated Society

In the mid 19th century the Incorporated Society for the promotion of English Protestant Schools in Ireland was supported by an estate in the vicinity of Athlone, county Roscommon, much of which had been in the possession of Richard Jones, Earl of Ranelagh, at the end of the 17th century. It included land in the parishes of St Peters and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone and in the parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 2,371 acres, which was much the largest acreage held by the Society in any county.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Johnstown Johnstown Demesne Drum Athlone Drumlosh 4 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M994 353
OS Sheet: 55
Discovery map: 47
Woodberry House Cloonakilla St Peters Athlone Athlone West Rural 1 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M992 418
OS Sheet: 52
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Rentals, reports & accounts, of the Incorporated Society and the Ranelagh estate, c 1800-1870. Microfilm copy P.3453; National Library of Ireland
  • Incorporated Society for promotion of Protestant schools in Ireland, additional records including accounts, rentals, reports, deeds etc, 1744-1879. MSS 5225-5859; Trinity College Dublin
  • Rentals of the Ranelagh estate, Co Roscommon, 1761, 1838-1839. M.6919; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources