Earl of Ranelagh
The Viscountcy was revived in 1759.
|Incorporated Society||In the mid 19th century the Incorporated Society for the promotion of English Protestant Schools in Ireland was supported by an estate in the vicinity of Athlone, county Roscommon, much of which had been in the possession of Richard Jones, Earl of Ranelagh, at the end of the 17th century. It included land in the parishes of St Peters and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone and in the parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 2,371 acres, which was much the largest acreage held by the Society in any county.|
|Jones (Roscommon)||The Jones family were resident in county Westmeath in the 17th century. Richard Jones 3rd Viscount Ranelagh was created Earl of Ranelagh in 1674. He was governor of the castle at Athlone and owned land in county Roscommon. He died without male heirs in 1711. Two of his daughters married the Earls of Kildare and Coningsby. The Ranelagh estate owned property in Athlone and endowed a number of schools for the promotion of English Protestants.|