Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Tyrrell

A Christopher Tirrel was granted over 750 acres in the barony of Ballintober, county Roscommon in 1680. The Tyrrells held in fee 882 acres of the lands of Annagh and 419 acres of Liscat leased from Viscount Dillon. These lands, which were in the parish of Aghamore, barony of Costello, county Mayo, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court on 27 Nov 1857. Liscat was sold but the Tyrrells held on to Annagh, as they still owned 881 acres in county Mayo in 1876. The remainder of the Curran-Tyrell estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 19 Feb 1902.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Annagh Annagh Aghamore Swineford Coolnaha 106 Costello Mayo OSI Ref: M490814
OS Sheet: 93
Discovery map: 32

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Tyrrell, 27 Nov 1857, Vol 48, MRGS 39/023, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Grant of arms to Thomas Francis Curran, solicitor of Annagh, Ballyhaunis, on his assuming name and arms of Tyrell, 12 Nov 1892. GO MS 110, 152-153; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources