Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Longworth

John Longworth was the owner of property in the parish of Aughrim at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was also leasing land from the Reverend John Hunt in the parishes of Dysart and Taghboy, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and held land in the parish of St Peters, Athlone. The Longworth estate amounted to over 3000 acres in county Galway as well as lands in King's county, Roscommon and Westmeath. In the 1870s John Longworth of Glynwood owned 3,271 acres in county Galway and 1,192 acres in county Roscommon. The family had originated with Francis Longworth of Creggan Castle and the main family seat was at Glynwood, Athlone, county Westmeath. Francis Longworth, father of John, was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killallaghtan, barony of Kilconnell. He died in 1856. Over 1300 acres of the Longworth estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board in April 1905. Edward Longworth was in possession of over 800 acres of untenanted demesne land in county Galway in 1906.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Oatfield Oatfield Aughrim Ballinasloe Oatfield 15 Kilconnell Galway OSI Ref: M745262
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 47
Sprucehill House (Kilconnell) Hazelfort Killalaghtan Ballinasloe Killalaghtan 10 Kilconnell Galway OSI Ref: M730287
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Ordnance Survey maps showing lands in non congested districts:Dames Longworth estate, 1316 acres in barony of Kilconnell, Co Galway, 1907. 15.A.23(15); National Library of Ireland
  • Book of maps of estates of George Longworth in Westmeath, Roscommon, Galway and King's County, 1821, with a map dated 1734 and another 1850. 14 A 25; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources