John Longworth was the owner of property in the parish of Aughrim at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was also leasing land from the Reverend John Hunt in the parishes of Dysart and Taghboy, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and held land in the parish of St Peters, Athlone. The Longworth estate amounted to over 3000 acres in county Galway as well as lands in King's county, Roscommon and Westmeath. In the 1870s John Longworth of Glynwood owned 3,271 acres in county Galway and 1,192 acres in county Roscommon. The family had originated with Francis Longworth of Creggan Castle and the main family seat was at Glynwood, Athlone, county Westmeath. Francis Longworth, father of John, was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killallaghtan, barony of Kilconnell. He died in 1856. Over 1300 acres of the Longworth estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board in April 1905. Edward Longworth was in possession of over 800 acres of untenanted demesne land in county Galway in 1906.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: M745262
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 47
|Sprucehill House (Kilconnell)||Hazelfort||Killalaghtan||Ballinasloe||Killalaghtan 10||Kilconnell||Galway||
OSI Ref: M730287
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 47
- Ordnance Survey maps showing lands in non congested districts:Dames Longworth estate, 1316 acres in barony of Kilconnell, Co Galway, 1907. 15.A.23(15); National Library of Ireland
- Book of maps of estates of George Longworth in Westmeath, Roscommon, Galway and King's County, 1821, with a map dated 1734 and another 1850. 14 A 25; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ballinasloe Union, 62 (Oatfield) & 83 (Sprucehill)
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 279.
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 312.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 309
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. '' 18th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 4927] HC 1909, xvi. Appendix XXXII: 137
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297 & 317
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
- BATEMAN, John. ''The great landowners of Great Britain and Ireland''. London: Harrison, 1883. : p.278
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain & Ireland''. London: Harrison, 1871: 813
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: AINSWORTH, J.F. Report on the Walker papers relating to Athlone Corporation, Adamson, Handcock, Kelly, Longworth, Robinson and Rochfort families and lands in Roscommon and Westmeath. NLI report on private collection, N. 196.
- HOWARD, Joseph Jackson and CRISP, Frederick Arthur (eds). ''Visitation of Ireland''. Baltimore: reprint by Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., 1973: Vol II, 53-56