Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Trench (Clonfert)

John E. Trench was a significant landowner in the parish of Ballymacward, barony of Kilconnell and the barony of Kilgerrill, barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway, in 1855. He also held lands in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Longford, which he had purchased on the abolition of the bishopric there in 1834 and in the parish of Clonkeen, barony of Tiaquin and parish of Ahascragh, barony of Killian. Part of the estate of the bishopric of Clonfert was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in June 1874. This branch of the Trench family were descended from the Trenches of Garbally as well as the Eyres of Eyrecourt and the O'Haras of Annaghmore, county Sligo. In the 1870s they were recorded as owning over 1000 acres in county Galway.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Clonfert Palace Clonfert Demesne Clonfert Ballinasloe Clonfert 16 Longford Galway OSI Ref: M961213
OS Sheet: 100, 101
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates Court Rentals (O'Brien), Bishopric of Clonfert, 20 June, 1874, Vol 115, MRGS 39/053, (microfilm copy in NUIG).; National Archives of Ireland
  • Clonfert Palace. Photographs & Press Cuttings. 003/087.; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources