Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hollow Sword Blades Company

The Hollow Sword Blades Company was set up in England in 1691 to make sword blades. In 1703 the company purchased some of the Irish estates forfeited under the Williamite settlement in counties Mayo, Sligo, Galway, and Roscommon. They also bought the forfeited estates of the Earl of Clancarty in counties Cork and Kerry and of Sir Patrick Trant in counties Kerry, Limerick, Kildare, Dublin, King and Queen's counties (Offaly and Laois). Further lands in counties Limerick, Tipperary, Cork and other counties, formerly the estate of James II were also purchased, also part of the estate of Lord Cahir in county Tipperary. In June 1703 the company bought a large estate in county Cork, confiscated from a number of attainted persons and other lands in counties Waterford and Clare. However within about 10 years the company had sold most of its Irish estates. Francis Edwards, a London merchant, was one of the main purchasers.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ardtully House Ardtully Kilgarvan Kenmare Kilgarvan 49 Glanarought Kerry OSI Ref: V986729
OS Sheet: 94
Discovery map: 78
Blarney Castle Blarney Demesne Garrycloyne Cork Blarney 72 East Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W607 753
OS Sheet: 62
Discovery map: 80

Archival sources

  • T.U. Sadlier Collection of deeds, testamentary & miscellaneous documents re property of the Eyre family in Cos Galway & Cork & Limerick city, includes reference to the Hollow Blades Co, Hedges Eyre & the Governors of the Erasmus Schools, 17th-19th centuries. Small Accs. Index 72; National Archives of Ireland
  • Deeds relating to Garraney-carney, Clondrohid, Co. Cork; including leases by Hollow Sword Blade Company to Wm. Lombard and by Sir Matthew Deane to James Lombard; sale by Lord Muskerry to Rev. Robert Dring in trust for Rev. Edmond Lombard; 1709 - 1816. D. 26,335-352 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources