Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Jefferyes


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hollow Sword Blades Company The Hollow Sword Blades Company was set up in England in 1691 to make sword blades. In 1703 the company purchased some of the Irish estates forfeited under the Williamite settlement in counties Mayo, Sligo, Galway, and Roscommon. They also bought the forfeited estates of the Earl of Clancarty in counties Cork and Kerry and of Sir Patrick Trant in counties Kerry, Limerick, Kildare, Dublin, King and Queen's counties (Offaly and Laois). Further lands in counties Limerick, Tipperary, Cork and other counties, formerly the estate of James II were also purchased, also part of the estate of Lord Cahir in county Tipperary. In June 1703 the company bought a large estate in county Cork, confiscated from a number of attainted persons and other lands in counties Waterford and Clare. However within about 10 years the company had sold most of its Irish estates. Francis Edwards, a London merchant, was one of the main purchasers.
Colthurst In 1702 Nicholas Colthurst of Ballyally, county Cork, purchased over 1,000 acres from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates, including Ardrum. Sir George Conway Colthurst owned over 31,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. In 1846 he married Louisa Jane Jefferyes of Blarney Castle and the Jefferyes estate was eventually inherited by the Colthursts. Some of the Colthurst estate was in the parishes of Dromtarriff, barony of Duhallow, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Grenagh, barony of Barretts but most of it was in the parish of Ballyvourney, barony of West Muskerry. The family had also previously held property in county Kerry owing to their descent from the Conway family, who had held large estates up to the nineteenth century. In 1856, over 3500 acres of the Colthurst estate in the barony of Trughanacmy, county Kerry, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that this included lands in the parish of Annagh. The Danesfort estate, leased to the Butcher family, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, in 1874. In 2009 Sir Charles Colthurst of Blarney Castle donated the papers relating to the estate and the Colthurst family to the Cork City and County Archives, adding to a previous legal collection relating to this family already in the Archives.
Jefferyes Major James St. John Jefferyes/Jeffreys (1734-1796) was the son of James Jefferyes and Louisa Colman. He married twice. By his second wife Arabella, daughter of John FitzGibbon, he had an only son George Charles Jeffereys. George C. Jefferyes married Anne La Touche and left an only son, St John George Jefferyes, who married Harriet Taylor. They had a son also named St John G. Jefferyes and a daughter Louisa who married in 1846 Sir George C. Colthurst, 5th Baronet. The Colthursts succeeded to the Jefferyes estate. The Jefferyes estate was mainly located in the parish of Garrycloyne, but also in the parishes of Carrigrohanebeg and Matehy, barony of East Muskerry and Currykippane, barony of Cork, county Cork.