||Granted to Sir Henry Lynch after the Restoration, it was the family's main home in county Mayo for much of the 18th century. In 1786 Wilson refers to Castle Carra as the seat of Mr. Lynch. The mansion house and offices at Castlecarra were described in 1844 by Samuel Nicholson as "now almost ruins". Castlecarra was leased to the Brownes of Castlecarra at this time and was part of their property for sale in 1852. The ruins of the original tower house are still extant but much of the surroundings are now covered by forestry.