Landed Estates
NUI Galway

The Lodge

Estate(s)
Townland Townplots East
Civil Parish Killala
PLU Killala
DED Killala 100
County Mayo
Barony Tirawley
Description A house with foundations dating from the 17th century, visited by Mary Delaney in the 1730s and occupied by the French in 1798. By 1837 it was the home of T. Kirkwood and, in the mid 19th century, of the Very Reverend J. Collins who held the property valued at £20 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the late 19th century this house was the home of Captain Alfred Charles Knox, a younger son of John Knox of Castlerea, Killala. Bence Jones writes that the house was enlarged circa 1820 by the addition of a bow shaped wing and that for a time it was the home of the Pery Knox Gore family. In the later 19th century the house was the home of the Timony family who owned a substantial import business in Killala. In the later 20th century owned by Lord Rathcaven and now the Irish home of Noeleen Farrell.
The Lodge, Killala, entrance gates (courtesy of N. Farrell)

Property Location