Landed Estates
University of Galway

Mistletoe Castle

Houses within 10km of this house

Displaying 59 houses.

Houses within 10km of Mistletoe Castle

Displaying 59 houses.

House name Description
Breeda House Roger G. Davis held a house in fee, valued at £17, in this townland at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Breeda House is labelled on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s. A house is still extant at the site.
Ballyglassin House James Butler held this house valued at £17 from his father-in-law, Roger Green Davis, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. There is still an extant house at the site.
Dromdihy The building of this house was completed in 1833 for Roger Green Davis. He is recorded as the occupier in the early 1850s holding the house valued at £45 from Sir Arthur De Capell Brooke. The sale rental of 1863 gives a detailed description of this house - "Drumdiah House consists of a centre and two wings, ornamented with Doric columns and with a portico at the eastern end, by the hall is entered, and off which are hot, cold, vapour and shower baths. The first floor comprises five sitting-rooms; on the second floor are four best bedrooms, with dressing-rooms and water-closet......". In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association Survey reported that the house had been "destroyed in the Troubles". It is now a ruin. Photo of Dromdihy
Gortnagappul This area is marked as the farmyard of Aghadoe House on the first Ordnance Survey map. At the time of Griffith's Valuation a house and offices valued at £28 were held by Roger G. Davis from Richard Uniacke Bailey. A large farm complex exists at the site now.
Aghadoe House (Killeagh) Lewis writes in 1837 that “The present house is about to be replaced by a castellated mansion”. The earlier house is referred to by Wilson in 1786 as the seat of Simon Dring. Aghadoe wasccupied by Thomas M. Green at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The house, valued at £27, was held by him from Sir Arthur De Capell Brooke. The house is no longer extant.
Mount Uniacke A home of the Uniacke family in the 18th and 19th centuries, occupied by three generations of persons named Norman Uniacke in the 19th century. Earlier, in 1786, Wilson refers to it as the seat of James Uniacke. In the mid 19th century it was held by Norman Uniacke in fee and the house was valued at £30. The Irish Tourist Association Survey of the 1940s reported that it had been burnt in 1921 and it is no longer extant.
Cornaveigh A house in this townland was occupied by George Bowles in the mid 19th century, valued at £17 and held from his father, Spotswood Bowles. The original building is no longer extant.
Park Located on the Ponsonby estate The Park was occupied by John Hudson junior in 1814 and by Robert Hudson in the early 1850s when the house was valued at £10. The Hudsons may have been agents to the Ponsonbys. The address of Charles W. Talbot Ponsonby is given as Park House, Youghal in the 1870s.
Burges House This house, valued at £14, was occupied by William Hall at the time of Griffith's Valuation and held from Lord Ponsonby.
Inchiquin House In the early 1850s Henry Hall occupied this house valued at £15 located on the Ponsonby estate.
Knockmonalea House A house valued at £14, the home of John Hudson at the time of Griffith's Valuation and held from Lord Ponsonby.
Ring Cottage A house marked as Ring Cottage on the first Ordnance Survey map and occupied by Uniack Mackey in the early 1850s, when held from the Marquis of Thomond and valued at £10. Still extant and now known as Ring House. Photo of Ring Cottage
Ring House Lewis records J. McCarthy as proprietor of Ring in 1837. Thomas Taylor was resident in the early 1850s holding the house valued at £16 from the Marquis of Thomond. Thomas Taylor of Ring owned 76 acres in the 1870s. The house is now an ivy covered ruin.
Greenlands This house was the home of G. Gaggin in 1837 and of George Gahan in the early 1850s. Valued at £14 it was located on the estate of the Marquis of Thomond.
Ballykinealy The proprietor of this house in 1837 was Captain Fitzgerald of the Royal Navy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael Fitzgerald held the property from John Fitzgerald and the buildings were valued at £20. The sale rental of 1861 refers to the house as a mansion "a large and first-class residence". It was occupied by Michael Joseph Fitzgerald, a barrister and younger brother of John Fitzgerald. The National Inventory of Architectual Heritage states that this house was a rectory for some time. Lewis writes that it was formerly "a religious establishment". Photo of Ballykinealy
Aghavine Occupied by Michael Neville in the early 1850s, held from Francis Wyse and valued at £20. Photo of Aghavine
Brooklodge This house situated in the 6 acre townland of Brooklodge was the residence of Henry Marsden and his wife in the first part of the 19th century. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend Pierse Drew was resident. He was rector of Youghal and a member of the family of Drew of Mocollop Castle, county Waterford. The Reverend Drew held the property from John Pollock and it was valued at £40.
Mary Ville Mary Ville is marked on the first Ordnance Survey map. In the early 1850s the house was occupied by John Hurley who held it from Colonel George Teulon. It was valued at £10. A house is still extant at the site.
Glenally A house valued at £15 and held with 6 acres by James Wallis from Mary Allen at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This house is named Glenally on the first Ordnance Survey map.
Clashadonagh [Frogmore] James Barry held an unoccupied house in the townland of Glanaradotia valued at £20 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. It is labelled Clashadonagh on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but as Frogmore House on the 25-inch map of the 1890s. It is now a ruin.
Windford A home of the Hudson family occupied by John Hudson in 1814 and by Robert Hudson in the early 1850s. Though there are buildings at the site the original house does not seem to be extant.
Heathfield Towers Captain Cotter was resident at Heathfield in 1837. This house was unoccupied at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £8.10 shillings. The immediate lessors were the representatives of Walter Maguire and Mary Giles. It was later the home of the Reverend Pierse Drew who was in residence in the 1870s. Photo of Heathfield Towers
Muckridge House The Hobson family were resident at Muckridge from at least the mid 1770s. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to it as the seat of Mr. Hobson. In 1814 Richard Fitzgerald is recorded as resident at Muckridge and in 1837 William Fitzgerald. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Samuel Le Hunte Hobson held the property in fee and the buildings were valued at £37. Still extant, well maintained and for sale at the beginning of 2010. Photo of Muckridge House
Seafield The home of Mr John Hudson in 1814 and of Thomas Seward in the early 1850s. Seward held the property from Lord Stuart de Decies and it was valued at £24. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage suggests it was built in the latter decades of the 18th century. It has recently been under renovation. Photo of Seafield
Summerfield John Hall held a house valued at £15 and 175 acres in fee at Summerfield in the early 1850s. No house of this size is marked on the first Ordnance Survey Map for this townland. Grid Reference is approximate.
Myrtle Grove Myrtle Grove, a Tudor manor house, associated with Sir Walter Raleigh and the sixteenth-century poet, Edmund Spencer At the beginning of the 17th century it was sold to Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork, and later became the property of the Hayman family, who owned it in the 18th and early 19th centuries. In 1837 Lewis writes that it was inhabited by Colonel Faunt. Later occupants include Joseph Wakefield Pim, Sir John Pope Hennessy and the Arbuthnot family. Now in private hands this house is open to the public on certain days in the year. Photo of Myrtle Grove
Castlerichard Occupied by Richard Fitzgerald in 1814 and in 1837. This house was unoccupied at the time of Griffith's Valuation and held by Thomas John as immediate lessor. It was valued at £9. Advertised for sale in 1858 as part of the estate of Bowles, John and others. This early 18th century house, with the old tower house nearby, is still extant and occupied. Photo of Castlerichard
D'Loughtane The Ronayne family were resident at D'Loughtane for many centuries. It was lost to the family in the 17th century but recovered through marriage with a Bluett. In the eighteenth century Smith refers to it as "the pleasant seat of Mr. Ronayne". The original house was destroyed by fire and a new one built in the early 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was held in fe by Robert P. Ronayne and valued at £26. The sale rental of June 1851 states that it was erected at a cost of £3,500. Knight writes that it was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1856 to Mr Samuel Allen who sold it later to John Pedder Furlong of Fermoy. Furlong sold the property to the Land Commission in 1910. The house has had a number of occupiers since then and is now owned by the Smiddy family. Photo of D'Loughtane
Knockanore House Rev. Thomas Queally was leasing a property at Knockanore valued at £10 10s from the Keily estate in 1851. It is not shown on the 6-inch Ordnance Survey Map but is labelled Knockanore House on the 25-inch map of the 1890s. The property appears to have fallen into disuse during the twentieth century.
Ballynatray House Held in fee by Richard Smyth at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings, including a mill, were valued at over £100. Lewis also refers to it as the seat of R. Smyth in 1837 when he describes it as "finely situated in a much improved demesne". In 1814 it was the residence of Grice Smyth who Brady cites as the builder. Charles Smith notes an earlier residence as the seat of Richard Smith. In 1943 the ITA survey referred to is as the seat of Captain Holroyd Smyth. Ballynatray is still extant and the focus of an 850-acres estate, with notable gardens. See www.ballynatray.com for details. Photo of Ballynatray House
Cherrymount House Described by Lewis in 1837 as the "occasional residence" of Captain Parker. It was being leased by Thomas Carpenter from the Parker estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £24 10s. In 1852 it was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court when it was described as "a suitable dwelling house and demesne, formerly occupied by the owner". It was purchased by Maj-Gen Sir Joseph Thackwell and remained in the possession of that family until the twentieth century. It is now a ruin.
Garryduff House Garryduff was held in fee by Thomas Garde at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when the buildings were valued at £35 10s. Lewis refers to it as the seat of H. Garde in 1837. This house is no longer extant.
Cooneen Mill Charles Musgrave was leasing this extensive property from Sir Richard Musgrave at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £31 5s. It is recorded as disused on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey Map of the 1890s. Some ruins remain at the site.
Tinnascart House In 1851 this property was leased by Robert Dower from William C. Poole when it was valued at £14 10s.The 1874 Dower estate sale notice indicates that the house had been built within the previous 15 years at a cost of £2000. It is labelled as Tinnascart House on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the later nineteenth century. The location is now a racehorse training enterprise.
Ardocheasty John B. Wallace was leasing this house from the Carew estate in 1851 when it was valued at £12 5s. Farm buildings are extant at the site.
Odell Lodge/Melrose House Leased by Rev. Thomas Thurtle from the O'Dell estate in 1851 when it was valued at £18 10s. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage indicates it was later known as Melrose House. In 1942 the ITA survey noted the property as the Melrose Hotel, formerly Odell Lodge. The survey states that it was built by the Odell family as a summer residence. It is still extant and occupied. Photo of Odell Lodge/Melrose House
Ardmore or Monea House Simon Bagge was leasing this property from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1851 when it was valued at £33. It is labelled as Ardmore House on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and as Monea House on the later 25-inch edition. The ITA survey indicates that it was sold by John Leonard Bagge in 1921 and subsequently became an Irish college.
Ardsallagh House Mrs.Olivia Ronayne was leasing this property from the estate of Lord Stuart de Decies at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £10 10s. It is labelled Ardsallagh House on both the 6-inch and 25-inch Ordnance Survey maps. Extant buildings remain at the site.
Laurentum At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Richard Coughlan was leasing this property from the Villiers-Stuart estate, when it was valued at £11. It does not appear on the 6-inch Ordnance Survey map but is named as Laurentum on the later 25-inch map. There is still an extant house at the site.
Ballynamultina House Francis Kennedy was leasing this property from the Mansfield estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £18 10s. Leet also refers to it as his residence in 1814. Smith states it was the seat of Mr. Mansfield in the late eighteenth century. A house is still extant at the site.
Clashmore Clashmore was held in fee by the Earl of Huntingdon at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £34. The site marked on the 1st-edition Ordnance Survey map is not that recorded on the later 25-inch map. Smith refers to the earlier house as the seat of Mr. Power and Wilson refers to it as the seat of Richard Power in 1786. The Irish Tourist Authority Survey of the 1940s suggest the later house was never fully completed and by then had all but disappeared. Much of the extensive farmyard, however, is still extant and in use. Photo of Clashmore
Bayview (Clashmore) Rev. Michael Purcell was leasing this property from Lord Decies estate in 1851 when it was valued at £12. There is still an extant house at this site.
Rockview (Clashmore) Leased by Richard Bayley from the Villiers-Stuart estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at almost £7. It is labelled Rockview on both the 6-inch and 25-inch Ordnance Survey maps. There is still an extant house at the site.
Glenlicky Mill At the time of Griffith's Valuaton Rev. James Elliott was leasing this substantial property to Thomas Page, when it was valued at £44. It included a house and mill. Noted on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey Map of the later nineteenth century as Glenlicky Mill. The buildings are now ruinous.
Lackendarra House In 1851, Mrs. Eleanor Fitzgerald was leasing this property from Rev. James Elliott when it was valued at £11 5s. In 1894 it appears to have been occupied by a Russell family.
Monatray In 1851 Pierce S. Smith [Smyth), a minor, held Monatray in fee when it was valued at £35. In 2013 it was offered for sale. The sale details suggest it was built by Percy Smyth of Headborough as a summer residence in the 1830s. In the twentieth century it was occupied by a religious order and later a country house club before returning to private ownership in the 1980s. In recent years the house name is spelt Monatrae. In 2014 Monatrae was offered for sale. Photo of Monatray
Newtown House (Kinsalebeg) Built after the first Ordnance Survey, Michael Kennedy was leasing this property from the Smyth estate in 1851 when it was valued at £13 10s. It is noted on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey Map as Newtown House. There is still an extant house at the site.
Pilltown House Declan Tracy was leasing this property from the Kennedy estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at over £12. Smith refers to it as "Pilltown, not long since the estate of the Walshes". The house is labelled Pilltown House on the 25-inch map of the 1890s. It is no longer extant. Tracy is noted as the owner of over 450 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. A substantial mill, valued at £39, in the same townland was being leased by Peter Moore Fisher [X129800]. It was included in the sale of Fisher property in the Landed Estates Court in November 1865. The mill appears to have fallen into disuse by the end of the nineteenth century though the ruins remain.
Mayfield (Kinsalebeg) In 1851 Thomas P. Carew was leasing this property from the Smyth estate when it was valued at over £20. A house labelled Mayfield appears at this location on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. In 1837 Lewis noted it as the seat of J. Gee. It is still extant and occupied. Photo of Mayfield  (Kinsalebeg)
Prospect Villa (Kinsalebeg) Prospect Villa seems to have been built in the later nineteenth century, close by an earlier house known as Mayfield. A house at Prospect Hall is described by Smith as "a handsome seat with good improvements made by the late Stephen Bernard" In 1786 Wilson refers to "Prospect Hall" as the seat of Mr. "Barnet". There is still an extant building at the site. Photo of Prospect Villa (Kinsalebeg)
Woodbine Hill George Roche held this property from the Smyth estate in 1851 when it was valued at over £26. Local sources suggest it was built by him earlier in the nineteenth century. It is still extant and occupied. Photo of Woodbine Hill
Cappagh (Decies-within-Drum) In 1851 James Gee was leasing this property from Lord Decies estate when it was valued at £19. This area has been subjected to severe coastal erosion and these buildings are no longer extant.
Clashanahy Sir Richard Musgrave held this property on lease from the Decies estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at almost £18. There is still an extant property at this site.
Ardoginna House Leased by Sir Joseph Neale McKenna from the estate of the Duc deCastres until its sale in 1864, when it was bought by McKenna. Formerly a residence of the Coghlan family. Eliza, a daughter of this Coghlan family, married the Duc deCastres. Ardoginna was owned by the McKenna family until the early twentieth century. It was briefly used as an Irish college before the purchase of Monea House for that purpose. Brady notes that it is now a ruin. In the 1780s, both Taylor and Skinner and Wilson had noted a house called Grey Rock as a residence of the Coghlan family in this area. Photo of Ardoginna House
Lackandarra Lodge At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Richard Chearnley held this property in fee when it was valued at almost £10. On the 25-inch Ordnance Survey Map of the 1890s it is labelled Lackandarra Lodge. A farm is still extant at the site.
Lackandarra A Mrs. Eleanor Power was leasing this property from the Chearnley estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £9. There are still buildings extant at the site.
Clifton Situated on the coast just south of Youghal, Clifton was occupied by Sir William Homan in 1837. Griffith's Valuation records John Keily junior as resident when the house was valued at £62. Buildings are still extant at the site.
Green Park Captain H. Parker of the Royal Navy was resident at Green Park in 1837. By the time of Griffith's Valuation William Carberry was the occupier holding the building valued at £38 from Pim Jackson. Extensive modern building has occurred in this area.
Ballyvergan House In 1786 Wilson refers to Ballyvergin as the seat of Robert Uniacke. By the time of Griffith's Valuation, this townland is part of the Leader estate. The house, valued at £12 was occupied by James O'Brien. This may be the property labelled Ballyvergan House on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map in the 1890s.Buildings still exist at the site.