Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Alliance Insurance Society


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Castlemagarret) The Brownes of Carrowbrowne, parish of Oranmore, county Galway, had estates in the counties Galway, Mayo and Roscommon (parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe). By Royal grants dated 2 June 1670 and 23 July 1678 Dominick Browne received over 8,000 acres in the town of Galway and in the baronies of Clare, Moycullen, Athenry, Dunmore and Ross (the Ashford estate), county Galway and in the baronies of Clanmorris and Costello, county Mayo. Mid nineteenth century copy rentals of their county Galway estates are included in MS 40,966 of the Westport Papers. The Galway County Library holds a [pre 1849] summary of the Browne estates for sale in counties Galway and Roscommon. In July 1853 the fee simple of over a thousand acres in the barony of Clare, county Galway, was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The Brownes county Mayo estate, mainly in the barony of Clanmorris, was established in the mid 17th century and the Brownes were resident in county Mayo by the end of that century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation this estate was comprised of more than 40 townlands in the parishes of Crossboyne and Kilcolman. Heavily encumbered by the mid ineteenthth century, Lord Oranmore and Browne's estates were put up for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court between 1852 and 1854. Family members were able to buy back some of the property and the Brownes still held 4,243 acres in county Mayo in 1876 and a smaller property in county Westmeath. The Westport Estate Papers MS 40,966 documents much of the estate management of the Oranmore and Browne estates in counties Galway and Mayo in the 1840s and 1850s. Lord Oranmore and Browne sold 2228 acres in county Mayo to the Congested Districts' Board on 5 Feb 1914 and repurchased 655 acres. The fire of 1811 destroyed many of the family papers.
Alliance Insurance Society In 1855 the trustees of the Alliance Insurance Society held an estate of 9 townlands in the parishes of Rahoon and Oranmore, barony of Galway and in the parish of Claregalway, barony of Clare, county Galway, all formerly belonging to Lord Oranmore and Browne. In the 1870s the Society owned 282 acres in county Galway and 573 acres in the county of the town of Galway.