Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Power (Kilconierin)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Power (Galway) Richard Power was granted lands in the baronies of Dunkellin and Leitrim in 1677 and James Power was granted over a thousand acres in the barony of Dunkellin in 1680. The representatives of John Power are recorded as lessors of several townlands in the parishes of Kilconierin and Killogilleen, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway in 1855. Robert Power held several townlands in the parish of Kilchreest, barony of Loughrea in 1855. R. Power is also recorded as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Kilchreest, in the 1830s. According to Patrick Melvin, the Powers never established a permanent base in county Galway and much of their lands were eventually incorporated, through inheritence and marriage, into the Trench (Clancarty) estates. Kelly noted that townlands in the Craughwell area, formerly owned by the Power estate, were bought by Lord Morris in the nineteenth century.
Power (Gurteen) A family decended from the Poer family established in county Waterford in the 12th century and who held the titles Viscount Power and Earl of Tyrone in the 17th century. However these titles became extinct in 1742 and the representation of the family devolved on John Power of Gurteen, county Waterford and of Grange, county Galway. John Power was succeeded by his brother William in 1743. Referring to the later eighteenth century, Sadleir notes that William served as High Sheriff of Waterford in 1784. John Power was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dysert, Kilmoleran, Kilsheelan, Mothel and Rathgormuck, barony of Upperthird and Kilronan, barony of Glenahiry, county Waterford, and St Patricksrock and Railstown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The unsettled estates of "the late John Power" in counties Tipperary and Galway were advertised for sale in November 1853, including Ballydine House. The county Tipperary estate amounted to 2,326 acres and the county Galway one to 1,546 acres (parishes of Killogilleen and Killinan, barony of Dunkellin).