Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Sheffield


Estate(s)

Name Description
Arbuthnot Local sources suggest the Arbuthnot family were located in the parish of Burrishoole, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo in the 1780s. John Arbuthnot had an interest in the O’Donel lands of Carrigahowley or Rockfleet, Carrowsallagh or Windsor and Rossyvera, which he sold to the 1st Marquess of Sligo in 1801. In 1802, Sir Robert Arbuthnot, a son of John, married Susan, only child of Colonel William Vesey of Farmhill, parish of Crossboyne, county Mayo, a great-grandson of Archbishop John Vesey of Hollymount. Three townlands in the parish of Crossboyne belonged to the Arbuthnots during the 19th century and their estate was bought by John Charles Sheffield.
Sheffield John Charles Sheffield bought the Arbuthnot estate in the parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, and in 1876 was the owner of 899 acres in county Mayo. He sold his estate to the Congested Districts Board circa 1915.