Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Joyce (Mervue)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Joyce (Mervue) The Joyces of Mervue, Corgary and Rahasane were all descended from a family of Joyces long established in the town of Galway. In the 18th century the Joyce family prospered in their mercantile and banking activities and began to acquire land, including the lease of Mervue from the Governors of the Erasmus Smith Schools in 1789. In 1792 they sold property in county Mayo to the Blakes of Towerhill. In the 19th century the Joyces of Mervue held lands in the baronies of Clare (Annaghdown, Claregalway and Lackagh parishes), Tiaquin (Killoscobe parish), Longford and Dunkellin, county Galway and in the townland of Kinlough, parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. By the 1870s they owned 3,742 acres in county Galway, 146 in the town of Galway and 381 acres in county Mayo. Thomas Joyce bought Rahasane Park in 1846 and in 1855 Pierce Joyce was leasing Ardfry House from the trustees of Lord Wallscourt. Frank Joyce was agent to the Earl of Clanricarde between 1882 and 1887. In 1909 Pierce Joyce had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts Board for over 300 acres of his estate.
Joyce (Corgary) An estate bought by Walter Joyce of Mervue from the French family in 1806. In the mid 19th century it was comprised of 7 townlands in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, some of which was leased to the Concannons. Walter Joyce had 3 sons, Walter of Corgary, Pierce of Mervue and Thomas of Rahasane Park. In the mid 1870s Walter Joyce of Corgary owned about 1,000 acres in county Mayo, 2,828 in county Galway and smaller acreages in Galway town and county Clare (365 acres at Muckinish East, parish of Drumcreehy, barony of Burren). 680 acres of the Joyce estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in March 1913. Walter Joyce of Corgary was fatally shot in January 1923 and following his death his estate was sold to the Land Commission.
Erasmus Smith Schools, Governors (Galway) An estate in the parishes of St Nicholas and Oranmore, barony of Galway, was owned by the Governors or Trustees of the Erasmus Smith Schools. Much of this estate was held by the Joyces of Mervue and the Lynches of Renmore. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 1585 acres.