Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lewis


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lewis The Lewis family held lands in Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon. William Lewis is also recorded as a lessor of property in the parish of Kilronan, barony of Boyle, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The ''Landowners' Survey'' of 1876 notes that the land owned by William Lewis, now held by Capt. W. Bond, with an address at Edgeworthstown, owned over 300 acres in county Roscommon at that time. In November 1877, over 1000 acres of the estate in the baronies of Dromahaire and Leitrim, county Leitrim and the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by the trustees of the marriage settlement of William Bond and Mary Letitia Bond, nee Lewis. The property had been held under a fee-farm grant dated 1840 between Thomas W. Bond and William Lewis.
Bond William Bond, of Newtown Bond, county Longford, is recorded as owning 700 acres in Leitrim in the 1870s as well as lands in county Longford. The estate of William and Mary Letitia Bond, nee Lewis, including lands in the baronies of Drumahaire & Leitrim, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in November 1877. The Irish Times reported that the purchasers included some of the tenants as well as Lord Leitrim and Mr. O'Beirne, MP.