Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lewis

The Lewis family held lands in Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon. William Lewis is also recorded as a lessor of property in the parish of Kilronan, barony of Boyle, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The ''Landowners' Survey'' of 1876 notes that the land owned by William Lewis, now held by Capt. W. Bond, with an address at Edgeworthstown, owned over 300 acres in county Roscommon at that time. In November 1877, over 1000 acres of the estate in the baronies of Dromahaire and Leitrim, county Leitrim and the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by the trustees of the marriage settlement of William Bond and Mary Letitia Bond, nee Lewis. The property had been held under a fee-farm grant dated 1840 between Thomas W. Bond and William Lewis.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Glasdrumman Glasdrumman Fenagh Mohill Rowan Leitrim Leitrim OSI Ref: H094054
OS Sheet: 28
Discovery map: 33

Archival sources

  • Chancery orders for payment of rents on estates of Arthur Lewis in counties Leitrim & Roscommon. M.5637. ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lewis/Bond, 13 November 1877, Vol 130, MRGS 39/058, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources