Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Tighe (The Heath)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lindsey (Wilfort) Another branch of the Lindsey family, originally of Garrankeel, near Ballina, county Mayo, lived at Wilfort near Tuam, county Galway in the early 19th century and held part of the townland of Killaloonty from the Bishop of Tuam. Their interest in this property of 443 acres was advertised for sale in 1861 and was bought by Thomas Tighe, who resold the townland in 1876. The Lindseys also held two townlands in the parish of Attymas, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, on a renewable lease for three lives for ever from Henry Bingham, dated 5 Dec 1741. Richard Chaloner Lindsey sold his interest in this property in the Encumbered Estates' Court in April 1857.
Tighe (The Heath) Robert Tighe was a prosperous merchant of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmainemore, county Mayo, in the mid 19th century who bought lands for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Tighe held three townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, previously part of the estate of Arthur Browne of Glencorrib, parish of Shrule, and one townland in parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, bought from the Blakes of Merlin Park. He held a townland in the parish of Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the mid 1850s. In 1863 Tighe bought The Heath from the Blakes. His first wife was Catherine, daughter of Thomas Kelly, and their eldest son, Thomas, was Member of Parliament for county Mayo in 1874. In 1875 he married Marie Antionette Dolphin of Danesfort, county Galway. By 1876 members of the Tighe family owned more than 2,000 acres in county Mayo and 1,025 acres in county Galway. Part of the Tighe's county Mayo estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in May 1906. 593 acres belonging to Thomas Tighe in county Galway were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 26 April 1907. Robert Dolphin Tighe is recorded as the owner of over 340 acres of untenanted demesne land and a mansion house valued at £15 at Lisduff, Loughrea, in 1906.
Browne/Dillon-Browne (Glencorrib) A branch of the Browne family of the Neale, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, settled near the village of Kilmaine and were generally known as of 'Ellistron' in the 18th century. In 1681 Valentine Browne was granted over 2,000 acres in the baronies of Kilmaine, Carra, Gallen and Tirawley, county Mayo with lands in counties Galway and Clare. In the 18th century the main part of the estate was in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Shrule. Two of the townlands belonging to them in the parish of Shrule, Mocorha and Bunnafollistran, had been sold to Sir Walter Blake in September 1699 by the trustees for the sale of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport. Robert Browne of Ellistron, parish of Kilmainemore, had a son Arthur who lived at Turin in the early 19th century. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Brownes were living at Glencorrib in the parish of Shrule. The last member of the family to reside at Glencorrib was Robert Dillon Browne, Member of Parliament and well known duellist, who sold the Browne estate in the barony of Kilmaine and the Holywell estate in the barony of Costello, county Mayo, in the early 1850s. The Glencorrib estate was bought by the Higgins family of Westport and James D.Meldon and the Kilmaine lands by Robert Tighe and Robert Fair. In 1882 over 150 acres in the baron of Longford, county Galway, the property of Arthur and Anne Dillon-Browne was offered for sale in the Land Judges court. In July 1882 the Irish Times reported that the Court had been informed that the tenants on the estate were willing to offer a total of £1106 to buy the property but that the owner sought a bid of up to £3000. The sale was adjourned.
Blake (Merlin Park) The Blakes of Moyne, parish of Shrule, county Mayo, were descended from the Blakes of Ardfry, county Galway. Under the Acts of Settlement they were granted the lands of Ballyglass, including Coolcon Castle, now situated in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine and lands in the barony of Dunmore, county Galway, amounting to more than 3,000 acres. At first they held Moyne on lease from the Earls of Clanricarde and in 1711 purchased the fee simple. In 1691 they bought the lands of Ballintober, barony of Carra, from the Blakes of Ardfry. The Ballintober lands were sold to the Moores of Moorehall in 1793. The rest of the Blake estate in counties Galway and Mayo was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Moyne was in the possession of Paul Ward and Joseph Burke and Edward S.Power had bought part of the Blake estate in the parish of Kilcommon. Charles Ormsby Blake de Burgh in a letter to George Ormsby of the Ballinamore family refers to the destruction of his family papers in a fire while in storage in London (17 May 1900).
Blake (Windfield) This family was transplanted to Mullaghmore, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway under the Cromwellian settlement. Burke's 'Landed Gentry of Ireland' (1904) records that they purchased Windfield in 1703. Under the will of John Blake 27 Feb 1786 the estate passed to his cousin John Blake of The Heath, county Mayo, a younger son of the Blakes of Renvyle. This John Blake had married a daughter of Christopher Bowen of Hollymount and the Bowen property, known as The Heath, passed to the Blakes. Over 1200 acres of the estate of Henry Martyn Blake (1796-1857) in the baronies of Kilmaine and Clanmorris were advertised for sale in 1853 and the Kilmaine portion again in 1855. The remainder of the estate in the baronies of Clanmorris (The Heath)and Costello (Kilnock) and Tiaquin, county Galway (Brierfield) was sold by John Henry Blake in 1863. The county Galway estate of Windfield appears to have been sold to the Jameson family in the 1820s. The Annefield estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in 1905.