Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Adamson (Glenfarne)

Description

Glenfarne Hall


Estate(s)

Name Description
Tottenham The Tottenham family's main properties were based in Leinster, especially in the counties of Wicklow and Wexford. However, they also held property in Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo and Waterford. In 1802 McParlan recorded Mr. Tottenham as a non-resident proprietor in county Leitrim. The main house was at Glenfarne but the family also held property at Glenade. Members of the family served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim on six occasions in the nineteenth century between 1820-1898. The estate in county Leitrim amounted to over 14,500 acres in the 1870s. Almost 6000 acres was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1878 and 1883. In 1766 Charles Tottenham of New Ross, county Wexford, brother of Nicholas Loftus Tottenham of Glenfarne, married Frances Boswell, daughter and heiress of Robert Boswell of Ballycurry, county Wicklow. Frances Boswell owned land in the parish of Kilronan, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon and in the parishes of Ahamlish and Drumrat, county Sligo, in the 18th century. In 1814 Charles Tottenham of Glenfarne married Dorothea, daughter and heiress of George Crowe of Nutfield, county Clare. Dorothea Tottenham held land in the parishes of Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper and Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In May 1855, Arthur Loftus Tottenham, a minor, offered for sale his lands in the barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford, amounting to 140 acres. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased by Mr. Walsh for over £1000.
Adamson (Glenfarne) William Lawrence Adamson was born in Dublin in 1829. He was a solicitor and very successful business man, who became grand seneschal of the Isle of Man in the 1860s. In 1906 one of W.L. Adamson's sons Colonel John George Adamson owned almost 400 acres of untenanted land at Glenfarne, county Leitrim as well as the mansion house there. The estate timber was later bought by Edward Harland of the Harland & Wolf Shipyard in Belfast. http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/lindenHall/history/theadamsonfamily.htm