Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Crofton (Mohill)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Crofton (Mohill) In the 1870s Sir Morgan Crofton held almost 10,000 acres in county Leitrim. the estate was centred on Mohill House. The family also had properties elsewhere in Ireland, notably at Shanganagh in Dublin and had an English residence at Sunnyside, Box, Wiltshire.Members of the family served as High Sheriffs and MPs for Leitrim from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries. McParlan includes Duke Crofton of Mohill on a list of "resident gentlement of property" in 1802. In the 1850s the Crofton estate was leasing Aghamore House in the parish of Mohill to Russell Cameron and a second property in Mohill to John Kane. The Crofton estate held lands in Inishmagrath parish which appeared to be on a long lease from the Hamilton estate since the 18th century as well as lands in Drumreilly parish, barony of Dromahaire and Aughrim parish, barony of Roscommon. A Morgan Crofton is recorded as the agent to Lord Lorton in the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. It is probably the same Morgan Crofton who is recorded as a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. Sir Morgan Crofton of Mohill owned 9,590 acres in county Leitrim, 1,608 acres in county Longford and 271 acres in county Roscommon (parishes of Cloonfinlough and Kiltrustan) in the 1870s.
Carmichael Lakefield House in the parish of Cloone, county Leitrim, was associated with the Crofton family through most of the 19th century. According to Griffith's Valuation it was leased by Duke Crofton from Hugh Carmichael,M.D.
Crofton (Co Cork) Hussey de Burgh notes Rev. H.W. Crofton as the owner of over 700 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while his representatives are described as owning over 1000 acres around the same time. Much of his estate was inherited from the Earbery family. He was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ballyfeard, barony of Kinalea, Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry and Aghabulloge and Donaghmore, barony of East Muskerry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1869, Almost 800 acres of his Kinalea estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in 1869. The sale notice indicates that Rev.Crofton had acquired leasehold interests originally vested in the Daunt family from the Earl of Shannon's estate at the end of the seventeenth century. Reverend Henry William Crofton of Inchinappa, county Wicklow, was the third son of Sir Hugh Crofton of Mohill, county Leitrim. He married as his first wife Marcia Anastasia Earbery youngest daughter and co heir of Mathias Earbery Member of Parliament for Lanesborough. The 1876 return of Landowners of one acre and over records Henry Morgan Earbery Crofton of Dublin as the owner of 5,809 acres in county Cork.