In the 1870s Sir Morgan Crofton held almost 10,000 acres in county Leitrim. the estate was centred on Mohill House. The family also had properties elsewhere in Ireland, notably at Shanganagh in Dublin and had an English residence at Sunnyside, Box, Wiltshire.Members of the family served as High Sheriffs and MPs for Leitrim from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries. McParlan includes Duke Crofton of Mohill on a list of "resident gentlement of property" in 1802. In the 1850s the Crofton estate was leasing Aghamore House in the parish of Mohill to Russell Cameron and a second property in Mohill to John Kane. The Crofton estate held lands in Inishmagrath parish which appeared to be on a long lease from the Hamilton estate since the 18th century as well as lands in Drumreilly parish, barony of Dromahaire and Aughrim parish, barony of Roscommon. A Morgan Crofton is recorded as the agent to Lord Lorton in the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. It is probably the same Morgan Crofton who is recorded as a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. Sir Morgan Crofton of Mohill owned 9,590 acres in county Leitrim, 1,608 acres in county Longford and 271 acres in county Roscommon (parishes of Cloonfinlough and Kiltrustan) in the 1870s.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Mohill Castle||Mohill||Mohill||Mohill||Mohill 65||Mohill||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: N089971
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 33
OSI Ref: N112942
OS Sheet: 36
Discovery map: 33
|Aghamore House||Agahmore||Mohill||Mohill||Roosky 73||Mohill||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: N058863
OS Sheet: 37
Discovery map: 33
|Lurga House||Lurga||Cloone||Mohill||Mohill 66||Mohill||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: N112964
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 34
|Abbey View House||Knocknashee||Boyle||Boyle||Boyle Rural 32/Boyle Urban||Boyle||Roscommon||
OSI Ref: G803028
OS Sheet: 6
Discovery map: 33
- A/C book of Rev. Henry Crofton relating to lands at Mohill, 1799-1833. Ms.3879. ; National Library of Ireland
- Rentals of Sir H. Crofton's estates in Leitrim, Longford & Roscommon, 1833. Ms.4531. ; National Library of Ireland
- Solicitors' records from office of Longfield, Kelly & Armstrong, extract of will of and grant of probate of Sir Hugh Crofton, 1834. T.2100; National Archives of Ireland
- Draft deeds and papers re family settlements concerning lands in counties Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon, 1759. MSS. 20,801. ; National Library of Ireland
- Longfield, Kelly & Armstrong, Solicitors' Collection includes deeds re the Croftons. Small Accs. Index 47; National Archives of Ireland
- Manuscript history of Crofton estate. File 300. ; Leitrim County Library
- Documents, mainly leases, relating to Crofton estate in Mohill. File marked Crofton Papers ; Leitrim County Library
- The Castle, Mohill. 147/075.; Irish Architectural Archive
- Notebook containing list of deeds re Mohill. MS 4529; National Library of Ireland
- Crofton Papers, re Crofton & Earbery families & estates in Cos Leitrim, Cavan, Cork, Monaghan & Wicklow. MS 20,773-20,806 & D 26,886-27,010; National Library of Ireland
- Copy lease for one year of the Manor of Mohill & other lands, Hugh Crofton to Morgan Crofton, his son & heir, 17 Aug 1759. Small Accs. Index 65, D.16215; National Archives of Ireland
- W.B. Scott, solicitor's collection, this extensive collection includes many deeds & attested copies of documents re the Crofton family of Mohill, 18th & 19th centuries. Small Accs. Index 76; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 108
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 303
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Mohill Union, 122, 158.
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Leitrim: Vol. I, 224, 253 (Lakefield)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Roscommon: Vol. I, 122.
- WELD, Isaac. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Roscommon''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1832. : 651.
- McPARLAN, James. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Leitrim''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1802. : 111.
Modern printed sources
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: Report on the Crofton papers. 295.
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 148 (Crofton of Lakefield)
- FORDE, P. and CLANCY,E. (eds). ''Ballinaglera & Inishmagrath: history and traditions of two Leitrim parishes''. Carrick-on-Shannon: Maura Clancy, 2003. : 58
- MOSLEY, Charles (ed). ''Burke's Peerage and Baronetage''. Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999: 720-722.
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 95.
- HARRISON, A (compiler).'' A roll of all gentlemen....High Sheriffs, MPs & other officers of county Leitrim, 1600-1909.'' Carrick-on-Shannon: printed by P. Brennan, 1910. : All
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': GRAY, Edward S. Some notes on the High Sheriffs of county Leitrim, 1701-1800. I (1941), 301-315
- PINE, L.G. (ed). ''Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. 4th ed. London: Burke's Peerage, 1958.: 191-193.[Crofton of Lakefield and Lissadorn]
- BLAKE, Tarquin. ''Abandoned mansions of Ireland''. Cork: Collins Press, 2010.: 196-201 (Lakefield)