Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Dowd (Tully)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Garvey (Tully) An estate in the parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo, comprised of seven townlands in the mid nineteenth century. In 1876 James William Garvey owned 2,270 acres in county Mayo. The estate was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in November 1880. The 3rd Marquess of Sligo held a mortgage on this estate and his interest was sold to Patrick O'Dowd in 1886.
O'Dowd (Tully) In 1881 Patrick O'Dowd bought the lands of Fallduff, parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo, from the Marquess of Sligo and in the mid 1880s they came to an agreement over the Garvey estate at Tully, which was mortgaged to the Marquess. The O'Dowds sold the estate to the Land Commission under the 1923 Land Act. They retained Tully Lodge and fishing rights on the Bunowen and Carrowniskey rivers.