The Garveys were in county Mayo from the mid 16th century. Branches of the family settled at Lehinch, Murrisk and Tully.
|Garvey (Murrisk)||Under the Acts of Settlement the Garveys were granted lands at Murrisk and Carrowkeel in the parish of Oughaval, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Christopher Garvey held nine townlands in the parish and in 1876 his son Francis owned 1,890 acres in county Mayo. Some of Francis' property was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1865 but the sale was adjourned due to insufficient bidding. A junior branch of the family held the lands of Fallduff, in the parish of Kilgeever, originally leased from the See of Tuam by the Ruttledge family. In July 1876, over 500 acres there were sold in the Landed Estates Court to Mr. Lynch in trust. By March 1916 the Garveys had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of their estate.|
|Garvey (Tully)||An estate in the parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo, comprised of seven townlands in the mid nineteenth century. In 1876 James William Garvey owned 2,270 acres in county Mayo. The estate was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in November 1880. The 3rd Marquess of Sligo held a mortgage on this estate and his interest was sold to Patrick O'Dowd in 1886.|
|O'Dowd (Tully)||In 1881 Patrick O'Dowd bought the lands of Fallduff, parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo, from the Marquess of Sligo and in the mid 1880s they came to an agreement over the Garvey estate at Tully, which was mortgaged to the Marquess. The O'Dowds sold the estate to the Land Commission under the 1923 Land Act. They retained Tully Lodge and fishing rights on the Bunowen and Carrowniskey rivers.|