Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bromhead


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wood The Wood family had held property in Sligo since at least the early 17th century, probably through Thomas Wood, Constable of Ballymote Castle in 1592. A family member is alleged to have perished in the Rebellion of 1641. Some of the family property in Corran barony became part of the Bromhead estate in the 19th century when Judith Wood married Sir Gonville Bromhead of Thurlby Hall, Lincolnshire. Other parts of the property were inherited by the Digby family though the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby, dean of Clonfert, in later eighteenth century. The family bacame united with the Martins, another influential Sligo family, though the inheritence of the Martin's Cleveragh estate by Mrs. Anne Wood, nee Martin.
Bromhead Baronets Bromhead of Thurlby Hall in Lincolnshire held land in Sligo by virtue of a marriage in 1823 between Sir E.G. Bromhead and Judith Christine, youngest daughter of James Wood of Woodville. In the 1870s Lady Bromhead is recorded as the owner of over 100 acres in county Sligo. The Congested Districts Board later acquired over 700 acres, the property of Sir. B. Parnell, later Bromhead.