Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Morris (Durrus)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Evanson Local sources suggest that the Evanson family in West Cork descend from Lieutenant Nathaniel Evanson who was granted an estate of 2,373 acres in the barony of West Carbery, county Cork in 1666. Rev. A. Evanson and Richard T. Evanson were among the principal lessors in the parish of Durrus, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Rev. William Evanson was also a lessor in the parish of Kilcrohane and Rev. Allan Evanson in the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry, at the same time. Lands owned by members of the Evanson family and others, in the parishes of Carrigaline and Durrus, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1862. The sale included Charlemont House. This property was held under a lease from the Allen family dating from 1800. In the 1870s, Revs, Charles, Robert and Richard Evanson of Llansory rectory, Monmouthshire, Wales, owned over 2000 acres in county Cork. In 1858 Michael Hungerford Morris married Elizabeth Burrows Evanson, daughter of Richard Tonson Evanson and in the 1870s Michael H. Morris of Durrus owned 1,157 acres in county Cork. http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.beamish/111/mb.ashx
Morris (East Carbery) In 1666 William Morris was granted almost a thousand acres in the barony of East and West Carbery and Captain William Morris was granted a additional lands in the barony of Carbery in August 1669. William Morris held townlands in the parish of Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Over 1100 acres of his property was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1853. John Morris was among the lessors in the parish of Kilmacabea in 1851. Michael H[ungerford] Morris of Durrus owned 1,157 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.