Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Shaw (Bushy Park)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Shaw (Monkstown Castle) Bernard Robert Shaw (1801-1880) of Monkstown Castle, county Cork, was the son of Bernard Shaw, Collector of Cork, and his wife, Jane Westropp. This family was a junior branch of the Shaw family of Bushy Park, county Dublin. In 1822 he married, as his first wife, Rebecca Reeves of Castle Kevin, county Cork and they had a number of sons including Sir Eyre Massey Shaw, who became head of the London Metropolitan Fire Brigade. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Bernard Robert Shaw held land in the parishes of Templerobin and Clonmel, barony of Barrymore, and at Monkstown, barony of Kerricurrihy. Monkstown was held from the Earl of Longford and Viscount de Vesci. In June 1871 the estate of Bernard Robert Shaw amounting to 905 acres was advertised for sale. This family were related to the dramatist George Bernard Shaw.
Shaw (Bushy Park) In the mid 19th century Sir Robert Shaw held land in the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. His ancestor William Shaw had come to Ireland with the Williamite army at the end of the 17th century and been granted land in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny. In 1795 Robert Shaw married Maria daughter and sole heiress of Abraham Wilkinson of Bushy Park, county Dublin. He was created a baronet in 1821. His second son Sir Frederick Shaw 3rd Baronet owned 414 acres in county Tipperary and 996 acres in county Dublin in the 1870s. His fifth son Charles Shaw was a barrister and Queen's Counsel. Charles Shaw married Mary daughter of William Barton of Grove, county Tipperary. He may be the Charles Shaw of Dublin whose representatives owned 1,229 acres in county Cork, 59 acres in King's County (Offaly) and 299 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. He died in 1870.