Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Shaw (Bushy Park)

In the mid 19th century Sir Robert Shaw held land in the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. His ancestor William Shaw had come to Ireland with the Williamite army at the end of the 17th century and been granted land in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny. In 1795 Robert Shaw married Maria daughter and sole heiress of Abraham Wilkinson of Bushy Park, county Dublin. He was created a baronet in 1821. His second son Sir Frederick Shaw 3rd Baronet owned 414 acres in county Tipperary and 996 acres in county Dublin in the 1870s. His fifth son Charles Shaw was a barrister and Queen's Counsel. Charles Shaw married Mary daughter of William Barton of Grove, county Tipperary. He may be the Charles Shaw of Dublin whose representatives owned 1,229 acres in county Cork, 59 acres in King's County (Offaly) and 299 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. He died in 1870.

Associated Families

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of Shaw, Barts., previously Shawe of Kilkenny, Dublin City, Cork City and Bushy Park, Dublin, c.1670 -- 1822. Genealogical Office: Ms.113, pp.273-8 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Particulars of leases and other legal and financial documents relating to the affairs and estates of the Shaw and Wilkinson families of Bushy Park, Terenure, Dublin, together with three maps relating to the estates including one of the River Dodder between Rathfarnham and Templeogue, c. 1707 - 1850. Shaw Papers, Ms. 8939 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of the late Robert Shaw of the City of Dublin and to his son, Robert Shaw M. P., of Bushy Park, Dublin, July 21, 1821. Genealogical Office: Ms.106, p.132 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Shaw Papers, mainly relating to properties in Dublin. Ms 4711, Ms 5610, Mss 9455-9462 & D.11,440-11,670.; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources