Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ashley

Family title

Earl Mountbatten


Estate(s)

Name Description
Temple/Temple-Cowper The association of the Temple family with county Sligo began in the seventeenth century when Sir John Temple was granted lands in the parish of Ahamlish, barony of Carbury. In 1722 his son Henry was created Viscount Palmerston of Palmerston in county Dublin. The 3rd Viscount Palmerston, a distinguished politican and Prime Minister, died in 1865. He had no children by his wife Emily Lamb, daughter of the 1st Viscount Melbourne. When Emily died in 1869 her son William Cowper by a former marriage inherited most of the Palmerston estate including Classiebawn. The estate of William Cowper-Temple amounted to over 12,000 acres in the 1870s. Henry Stewart of Tyrcallen, county Donegal, and the land agency firm of Stewart and Kincaid, Dublin, was appointed agent to this estate in 1784.
Ashley The Ashley estate consisted of lands in the Mullaghmore area of north Sligo which had previously been part of the Temple (Lords Palmerston) estate. Bateman asserts that this estate amounted to over 12,000 acres by 1883. In 1906 the Hon. Evelyn Ashley owned over 1000 acres of untenanted lands including a mansion house.